My philosphy

My philosphy

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Divine Intervention? Or Coincidence?

Some days I sit back and wonder about our plan, our purpose...I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that my purpose is to help those that cannot help themselves. To allow my big heart to save all that it touches, and I am so grateful to be with someone who understands this. Todd knows I would rather stretch myself too thin, and give up extra material possessions that I don't need, so I can make a difference in an animals life.

Today was a strange day. Before I explain how, some back story is needed. When I working at my first Vet Clinic, one of my rescued cats went missing...a few months later he was brought in by a couple that happens to live right around the corner from my Dad's house. They found him a few months back, and started to feed him. They noticed he wasn't feeling well and brought him in for an exam. I found it strange they brought him to the clinic I was working at because there was one closer to our neighborhood (where I happen to work now...), but was so happy to see Dante again, safe and happy! They did the right thing and gave him back to me. Because he was gone for awhile, the dynamics between the cats changed in our home, and Emily started to beat Dante up. I asked them if they would like to take him back...they were ecstatic! About 3 - 4 months ago they brought in their recently adopted shelter dog into my current clinic for the new adoption check up, and filled me in on Dante, and thanked me for giving him to them. Every so often I see them when I visit my Dad, and they always ask about my animals and update on Dante.

Today, I get a phone call from the wife while at work. She went into the garage to change around the laundry, and found a large black cat sleeping on the clothes, he looked identical to our cat Bug, who liked to hang out in their yard. Bug went missing about 2.5 years ago! We always found it odd, because Bug seemed to have chosen the house vs the people....when my brother moved across the subdivision community (it's called Sangaree, and is a collection of neighborhoods) about 3 neighborhoods away, he took his cat Bug with him. Bug would randomly leave my Mom's house and make his way back to Dad's. Sometimes he made the trip in a day, sometimes a week. Once we got a call from the local shelter, Animal Control had picked him up! Thank God for microchips!!

I asked if it would be a major inconvenience to bring the cat to work (they live about 5 minutes away) so I could scan for a microchip to confirm it it was Bug, they said they would. I will admit, I was doubtful that it was the same cat. About 20 minutes later they were at the Clinic, and the cat looked familiar! I scanned for a microchip and told them I would call the company shortly to verify and asked if they wanted to leave the cat for now and I could call after work. We discussed what would happen if it was Bug, and I told them he might not work out well at Dad's. Technically he is my brother's cat, but Andy is living in California now, and was unable to bring his cat and dog (they now live with our Dad). They expressed interest in adopting Bug, so I told them I would verify, but didn't think that would be an issue.

Sure enough, the microchip proved it was Bug! He was missing for almost 3 years!! We drew some blood to check for metabolic disorders common in older cats (Liver Disease, Renal Insufficiency, Hyperthyroidism, Diabetes, etc) and to check for Feline Leukemia (FeLV) and Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV) and treated for the MANY fleas present! Bug looked like he had lost weight, but seemed happy. He was purring and kneading the air while I held him, and was rubbing on me during his exam. He is about 9 now, and still as sweet as ever.

I spoke with my Dad and Brother, who both agree...if these people want to give Bug a good home, that is great! We were all so shocked that he showed up again, and at their house of all places! It is amazing that they found me a few months back at my current clinic, and that Bug made his way back into my life!

I swear, I am great at being in the right place at the right time when it comes to cats! So tonight Bug is at work, because I didn't have an extra carrier (and don't want dead fleas in my car!), and tomorrow (my day off...) I will check on his bloodwork and take him to his new home! I forgot to take a picture of him to post...oh well, there is always tomorrow!

Willow had her Intraosseous catheter removed today, she started to get MAD when I gave her injections through it. They feel a change in pressure during injections, but it isn't painful per se....We gave her an antibiotic injection that lasts two weeks, and started her on some oral antibiotics! She is eating canned food like a champ, but still won't give up her bottle! She is a fighter, and Dr Chavis is now calling her "Princess PITA" (Pain In The Ass) because of all we went through yesterday <3
 
Willow is now sleeping on me, twitching in her dreams....I think I am going to snuggle up with her and Todd and go to bed :)

1 comment:

  1. WWWWoooooooWWWWWWW!!!!!! THIS IS THE BEST STORY EVER!!!!! I don't know where to begin-that's amazing, Kate - all of it! Bug, Willow, Dante - you are the official Cat Lady - and you are NOT crazy!!!!! So very glad to hear all of this great news - Bug - how amazing you got to know he is well - such a Miracle! Hi Willow!!! Hang in their little PITA!

    ReplyDelete