My philosphy

My philosphy

Friday, July 15, 2011

How to bottle feed a kitten

I finally made a video about bottle feeding kittens! I meant to do this last week, but sometimes I am just a horrible slacker who doesn't feel like doing a darn thing. We are going to start weaning Willow this weekend, so I figured I should make the video while she is still "on the bottle". I am posting the recipe for kitten formula below.
video

This recipe I found in Dr Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health Care for Cats & Dogs. I always double the formula because I find they go through it fast, especially when you have more then one kitten. The recipe below has the original amounts listed.

2 cups whole goats milk
2 large eggs
5 teaspoons protein powder (from ANIMAL protein sources)
1/4 teaspoon KAL, Inc. Bone Meal *
1 - 2 days worth of cat vitamins (adult dosage) powdered or crushed
100mg Taurine supplement **(if NOT if cat vitamin)

Mix ingredients well (I use my blender)

*Contains per tsp: Calcium 1,500mg
                               Phosphorus 750mg
KAL, Inc. is the bone meal supplement most recommended by Dr. Pitcairn

**Cats are obligate carnivores, which means they are unable to synthesize Taurine (an essential Amino Acid) like humans or dogs, they MUST pull it from their diet (meat). Taruine deficient cats develope dilated cardiomyopathy (a weakening of the heart muscles, which causes an enlarged heart) and blindness. This is another reason why the protein powder must be from animal protein, NOT soy or whey.

I realized today that I kinda jixed myself last week. I was talking with a relief vet at work about this formula, and brought my book in to make her a copy. I told her how I bought so much of the ingredients in the smallest amounts, which is still large when making kitten formula...she said this way I have LOTS extra for when I take in another kitten. I told her that wouldn't happen because I just brought home Raven and didn't have time, energy or money for another animal...yup, that was a stupid thing to say!

Speaking of Raven, she has lost almost a pound already! The goal is 1/2 a pound per week; which doesn't sound like a lot, but for a cat, that is SIGNIFICANT!

I am going to try and upload the x-rays on Willow later this weekend, I don't know if the program that the cd uses to view the x-rays will allow it though...only one way to find out....Ohhhh Todd  :)

1 comment:

  1. Look at you! Too amazing, Kate - I'm floored-you are incredibly calm with all of this! I'm sending you a virtual bow for awesomeness!!!
    My cat came flying downstairs when she heard the kitten cry - now she is looking all over for it - too funny!!!
    So glad to see all is going great - you're a great Mama : ) !!!

    ReplyDelete