My philosphy

My philosphy

Monday, July 11, 2011

The Smallest Feline is a Masterpiece

Leonardo daVinci spoke these words, and they are SO true!

Today's appointment went wonderfully! I took the kitten to Charleston Veterinary Referral Center,and Dr. Balara saw her, he said even if we did nothing...she would do well!

Of course, we are going to do something. At eight weeks of age we will start bandaging her legs. We will alternate front vs back legs, for 3 - 4 weeks at a time This will help align and support her limbs as well as encourage proper growth. Right now, her limbs are more cartilaginous than anything, and we can rotate them into a more normal position. As "physical therapy", Dr. Balara said to move her legs into proper position, it won't hurt her and may help now.  She won't be normal, not by any means...but we can make life easier for her, and she will get around just fine. Dr. Balara said if surgery is needed, it won't be until MONTHS down the line. He however is VERY optimistic about her. She is a strong little kitten...now all she needs is a name!

We have some potential names-
  •  Todd suggested "Marie" after Marie Curie, because when she purrs it sounds like a Geiger Counter,
  • My Dad suggested "Willow" because she is the color of a Pussy Willow, and she is so soft
  • People at work suggested "Flipper", and when I said she was a Princess and needs a dignified name, it became "Princess Flipper"
 I wanted to wait until after her appointment with Dr. Balara, but now I have no excuse. She needs a name!

She enjoys sleeping in my hand like this :)

She would SCREAM at me if I tried to move her from this position!
I feel SO much better now that I know she has a good chance! I was so worried that there would be no options, or a VERY expensive option. I almost cried about the good news...I am so attached to this little kitten already.

3 comments:

  1. Her name is Princess Flipper. The end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Willow gets my vote. This is quoted from Wikipedia "Before the male catkins of these species come into full flower they are covered in fine, greyish fur, leading to a fancied likeness to tiny cats...". Here is a link to a picture that has the same colored catkins as her http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Salix_caprea_02.jpg

    Dad

    ReplyDelete