My philosphy

My philosphy

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

An update on Bug

I stopped by work this morning to check on Bug, the plan was to take him to his new home, but I forgot a carrier! That worked out because his FIV test is still pending, and he has a history of fighting other cats. I am concerned he might test positive, and that would be a deal breaker. Pretty much, his immune system will be suppressed and he will contract upper respiratory infections easy and be at a higher risk for pneumonia and other diseases. He *could* safely live with other cats, if they don't fight. Deep puncture wounds caused by another cat bite is how this virus spreads, and Bug has a history of NASTY cat bite abscess!

The results we did receive confirmed Hyperthyroidism, which is common in older cats. Hyperthyroidism is treated easily enough, and isn't that expensive once the cat is regulated. The hassle is checking the T4 (a Thyroid level) monthly and adjusting the medications as needed. Once the T4 is normal, the bloodwork is checked every 6 - 12 months. In a nutshell, Hyperthyroidism is caused by the Thyroid gland secreting too much of it's hormone. The Thyroid controls metabolism, and too much hormone causes a ravenous appetite, weight LOSS, and tachycardia (increased heart rate). If left untreated, heart problems will develop.

If Bug is FIV positive, it will be a "deal breaker", if he is negative- the next step is treatment for Hyperthyroidism. I hope they can afford to treat/manage this disease because I will NOT allow him to go untreated. If that is the case, I guess I will start treatment and find him a home...I know Todd will understand!

When I was at work, I was talking with our Head Tech about my "luck" and how I must be destined to be poor! She told me that if she didn't take care of all her critters as well as she does, she could afford several BMW's or Mercedes...but she wouldn't be happy.
Bug

No comments:

Post a Comment