My philosphy

My philosphy

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Soapbox...

 This article makes me so upset. People REALLY should do some research before they just start messing with an animals diet. So I feel the need to step up on my soap box for a minute....Cats are OBLIGATE CARNIVORES. They are unable to synthesize Taurine, an essential amino acid, that humans and canines are able to synthesize. Cats MUST get Taurine from their diet, and it is most abundant in MEAT! Taurine deficiency causes retinal degeneration and Dilated Cardiomyopathy (DCM)! This was actually discovered in the 1980's, once the link between Taurine deficiency and retinal  degeneration and DCM was discovered, it wasn't long before these problems reversed themselves. Cats are minute Lions, Tigers, Leopards, etc. They have the same anatomy and physiology, the same nutritional requirements, the only difference is the SIZE and personality (ie NOT wild, exception - feral cats)

Anyways, I am done ranting...time to get back to studying. We had our first A&P test today,and we will get them weekly! I have to study the bones of the cat, dog and horse...and of course, the horse is complicated!

No comments:

Post a Comment